facebook2 zxp4 zxp1 zxp2



School Closings & Delays

He was fascinated with all the switches, buttons, knobs, dials, meters and shiny things that had lights. But, much more than that, his parents exposed him to all kinds of different music, like jazz, blues, big band, swing, folk, classical and good old rock and roll. (Chip is an avid collector with 5000 albums, 4000 45's and 1500 Cds.) With this love of music and the mystique of radio, it was a natural progression for Chip to segue into radio, following in his Dad's footsteps. Like insanity, it must be hereditary or something.* Going into radio was an obsession for Chip, who wanted to play music for people, and, hopefully, entertain them with his foolish antics, and, the fact that he wasn't afraid to make a total ass of himself!

The first step in the realization of that dream was the family moving to Burlington, where his Dad was going to work at WDOT with Val Carter. A few years later, when Bill moved on to WJOY, Chip begged Mr. Hunter for a job at DOT for a dollar an hour. As a junior at South Burlington High School, it was cool to be on the radio (even if he had to be Bill Hunter's whipping boy and "gopher").

As a baby boomer teenager, Chip was totally knocked out by the Beatles and the British Invasion scene in the mid-sixties. The week he started in radio, there were five Beatles songs in the top 40. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was the first record he ever played on the radio.

After graduation, Chip moved to Waterbury for his first "real" radio job at WDEV, where he learned much from Rusty Parker, Ken Squier and his Dad, Lloyd E. Squier, and Mike Carey. After a year of Radio 550, he moved back home to Burlington, to WJOY and later, WVMT. After a couple of years in The Queen City, he joined The National Guard for six months active duty. When he returned, he packed his mustang and headed off to seek his fame and fortune in Manchester, NH, at WKBR, which paid at least $150. a week.

After a few months of working at this stepping stone, he moved on to Boston for what would be the first of five moves to good old Beantown. Over the years, Chip made a name for himself with gigs at WRKO, WHTT, WBZ, WVBF and WEEI. In addition to eight years in the Boston market, Chip made stops in Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Sacramento, L.A., Philadelphia, Cincinnatti, Hartford, Albany and New York City. He worked for NBC, CBS, ABC, Doubleday Broadcasting, RKO General and Bill Drake. In the mid-70s, Chip turned to AOR (Album Rock) due to his disgust woth the way high priced consultants and research were ruining Top 40 Radio. The playlists were getting ever smaller. He was sick of the rat race and the "Ratings Wars". After a final four years in a major market (Milwaukee), Chip packed up his wife and kids and moved back home to Vermont to give his son and daughter a great place to grow up and be closer to his Mom and Dad. Again, he worked at a few Vermont stations, where he found nothing much had changed, except that they were all run by computers and research. Media here was still a joke. So he started driving trucks, busses and limos and is still on the road!

*Occasionally Chip will take a part in a movie in between his radio jobs.

Chip Hobart

Chip Hobart started hanging out at radio stations when he was about 7. His Dad, Bill Hobart, was an announcer for WSYB in Rutland. Chip watched and listened intently to all the radio people and what they were doing.